September 11th ceremony: Reading of the names of those lost
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The loved ones of the thousands lost on September 11 marked the 12th anniversary of the attacks Wednesday with the reading of names and moments of silence that are now tradition.
The events began with Gov. Andrew Cuomo, musician Billy Joel, firefighters and others gathering for a tribute motorcycle ride from a Manhattan firehouse to ground zero.
Near the memorial plaza, police barricades blocked access to the site, even as life around the World Trade Center went on, workers rushing to their jobs and construction cranes looming over the area.
Name-reading, wreath-laying and other tributes were also held at the Pentagon and at the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville.
"No matter how many years pass, this time comes around each year - and it's always the same," said Karen Hinson of Seaford, N.Y., who lost her 34-year-old brother, Michael Wittenstein, a Cantor Fitzgerald employee. "My brother was never found, so this is where he is for us," she said as she arrived for the ceremony with her family early Wednesday.
Memorial organizers expect to take primary responsibility for the ceremony next year. They said Wednesday they'll keep the focus onthe victims' loved ones, and aim to make the annual ceremony more low-key and perhaps private as the years go by.
The 12th anniversary also arrives with changes coming at the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, where officials gathered Tuesday to herald the start of construction on a visitor center. At the Pentagon, plans call for a morning ceremony for victims' relatives and survivors of the attacks and an afternoon observance for Pentagon workers.
Around the world, thousands of volunteers have pledged to do good deeds, honoring an anniversary that was designated a National Day of Service and Remembrance in 2009.
september 11, world trade center, local news
Also SeeStory:Anthony Johnson reflects on the 9/11 attacks
Story:Sandra Bookman reflects on the 9/11 attacks
Story:Nina Pineda reflects on the 9/11 attacks
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 44 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 36 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14 22 min ago
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win 13 min ago
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos