Freeport police shoot, kill suspect during gunfight
FREEPORT, TX -- Freeport police say a suspect was shot and killed during a gunfight with officers Tuesday evening.
Police received a call around 6:55pm about shots fired in the 700 block of West 6th Street. Officers responded to the scene, and as they were talking to witnesses, one of them pointed out the suspect's vehicle as it drove by.
Officers followed the vehicle to the intersection of Cedar and West 8th Street and ordered the suspect to show his hands but he refused. As officers opened the suspect's car door, he pointed a gun at them and opened fire.
At least three officers fired their guns back, and the suspect was shot and killed. None of the officers were injured.
The incident is being investigated by Brazoria County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Rangers, and the Freeport Police Department is assisting in the investigation.
Right now, police are not releasing the name of the suspect. He's been described only as a Hispanic male between the ages of 20 and 25.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 23 min ago
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at...
23 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos