Victim's family speaks out on Frankfort paintball attack
November 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A Lincoln Way North High School student and swimmer was shot in the eye while trick-or-treating in unincorporated Frankfort.
Courtney Claypool had only been trick-or-treating a short time on Halloween before she had to be rushed to the emergency room.
The 15-year old was hit in the eye with a paintball. It happened in a Frankfort neighborhood when someone in a passing car fired paintballs at Claypool and her friends.
''She said that she reached up to her face and pulled the paintball off of her face and thought for 30 seconds that it was her eye,'' said Mary Beth Claypool, the victim's mother. "It scared the bejesus out of her,'' she said.
Mary Beth Claypool rushed to her daughter as fast as she could and found Courtney's eye bloody and swollen.
They first went to urgent care, but a doctor was concerned about retina damage, so they were taken by ambulance to a hospital.
''She was telling jokes with the paramedics, making the best of a situation. She was a real trooper,'' said Claypool.
Extensive tests showed Courtney's retina is ok. However, the Lincoln Way North High School athlete missed her diving meet over the weekend.
Even though vision is returning to that eye her father is concerned about how her eyesight will be in the long term. And how dangerous it is to shoot a paintball at someone who is not wearing protective gear.
''I think they thought it's just a Halloween prank, to pop off some paintballs, but it you've ever had paintballs, you can feel them,'' said Larry Claypool, the victim's father. " I don't know what they were thinking,'' he said.
local, karen jordan
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 58 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 26 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery