Chicago Weather: Rain drenches area, snarls commute
November 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Rain and wind gusts abounded in the Chicago area Wednesday, and a cold front is on its way.
"Temperatures are going to be falling into the 40s this afternoon," ABC7 Meteorologist Tracy Butler said.
This morning, weather is being blamed for a fatal crash on the Dan Ryan and may be a factor after a plane left the runway at O'Hare International Airport. Temperatures are expected to drop after the rain tapers off by early afternoon.
The heaviest rain was expected to last through the morning in the far northern suburbs. The weather comes on the heels of a wet month in the state.
Illinois' state climatologist says late-October rains helped restore soil moisture after three exceptionally dry months.
Climatologist Jim Angel says a near-normal 3.2 inches of precipitation fell in October, most of it in the last few days of the month.
Angel says the rains were heavy and widespread enough to help recharge soil that had been dried out in the previous three months. The long-term average rainfall for October is 3.26 inches.
Angel says precipitation was heaviest in Cook, Will, and Kankakee counties and in some areas of far southern Illinois. The largest amount was in Bourbonnais, which saw 6.79 inches of precipitation.
What's more, many areas of northern and central Illinois saw snow in October, with the most - 3.5 inches - reported in Mendota.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 28 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 35 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
28 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
35 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos