Crews rescue 8-year-old boy in sand at Indiana beach
July 12, 2013 (MICHIGAN CITY, Ind.) -- Emergency crews in northern Indiana have found a boy who fell into a hole in the sand near the Lake Michigan shoreline near Mount Baldy in Michigan City.
Rescuers used everything from their hands to heavy equipment to dig out a child buried in sand.
Just after 8 p.m. Friday night, rescuers pulled him from the sand, and quickly whisked him away. He was transported in an ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Michigan City.
"His condition is unknown right now. . .we're just hoping for the best," said Bruce Rowe, spokesman, Indiana Dunes.
The rescue had been a race against time as crews searched the scene at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. What happened exactly is still in question.
"We do not know what happened. . . This is unprecedented, nothing like this has ever happened here at the Dunes before," said Rowe.
Fire officials say early reports indicate this was a sinkhole, but they are still trying to confirm that information. Regardless, rescuers used shovels & heavy equipment to dig scoop by scoop. The boy's parents were on the scene too.
This is happening near Mount Baldy, the tallest moving sand dune at the national lakeshore. According to the Park Service, the dune is 126 feet high and you can reach the summit by using designated trails.
"Mount Baldy is going to be closed for the weekend until we figure out what happened here," said Rowe.
Officials say the boy is being airlifted to a Chicago area hospital for further treatment.
lake michigan, indiana news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 24 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos