Long Island News
Couple arrested for kidnapping Queens man
BRENTWOOD, NY (WABC) -- Suffolk County Police arrested a couple who allegedly kidnapped a Queens man and demanded money from his family for his release.
Patrol Special Operation Team Officers Richard Tofano and Thomas Janickey stopped the driver a 2009 Lexus for a traffic violation on Brentwood Road in Brentwood.
During the stop, they say they saw that the driver, Daniel Levine, was wearing a police badge holder around his neck.
The passenger, a 44-year-old male victim, told the officers that Levine had identified himself as a police officer and forced him into the vehicle.
An investigation revealed that at approximately 12:15 p.m. Sunday, the victim, who was selling DVD's outside of a carwash on Lakeland Avenue in Bohemia, was approached by Levine who displayed a police badge holder, forced the victim into the Lexus and threatened to send the victim to jail unless he paid money.
Levine then allegedly drove to a Bohemia motel where he picked up his wife, Amanda Simmons and their four-month-old child.
The couple drove around while attempting to negotiate with the victim's family over the telephone and demanded money in exchange for his freedom.
25-year-old Daniel Levine was charged with Kidnapping 2nd Degree, Criminal Impersonation 1st Degree, Grand Larceny 2nd Degree and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
20-year-old Amanda Simmons was charged with Kidnapping 2nd Degree and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
Both Levine and Simmons were arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip on Sunday.
The child was release to a relative and the Suffolk County Department of Social Services Child Protective Services was notified.
long island, kidnapping, suffolk county, long island news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos