Long Island News
Facebook helps renew probe of 1984 missing teen
MINEOLA, New York (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are hoping recent chatter on a social networking site about the 1984 disapperance of a teenager sparks clues about her fate.
Nassau County homicide detective John Azzata said Thursday there have been recent postings on a Facebook page dedicated to a Lynbrook roller skating rink. Some posts have recalled the disappearance of Kelly Morrissey.
"We were looking into this case and we learned of some entries on Facebook, the actual page was Hot Skates Facebook page," he said.
The 15-year-old frequented the rink. She was last seen on June 12, 1984 after she bought a pack of cigarettes at a Lynbrook gas station.
Azzata said the postings contained nothing specific about the teen's disappearance. But he hopes publicity about the 26-year-old case may jog someone's memory. Two other teens from that community were found strangled within months of Morrissey's disapperance.
Morrissey's parents now live in Vermont.
long island, mineola, missing person, facebook, long island news
- Young child shot in foot in the Bronx 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break repaired 55 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 31 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 10 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 33 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 5 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
10 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos