Long Island News
Zoom zoom: NY troopers ticket rally drivers
LIBERTY, NY -- More than 100 high-performance cars including Porches, Corvettes, Vipers and BMWs were pulled over by troopers as drivers in a 117-mile road rally roared toward a private track in Monticello.
Sgt. Raymond Walter of State Police in Liberty says the cars were stopped by seven troopers and three sheriff's deputies around 11:30 a.m. Sunday on Route 17 in Sullivan County. Troopers had been alerted by 911 callers saying a group of race cars was speeding at more than 100 mph. More than 30 tickets were issued.
The drivers were part of Turkey Run 2010, a charity event sponsored by Exotics Rally, Inc. The group's website says more than 250 participants paid $100 each to drive from Syosset, Long Island to the Monticello Motor Club, a private track and country club.
long island, state trooper, long island news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 24 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority 33 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 41 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
20 min ago