Long Island News
Health warning follows refund fraud
WOODMERE (WABC) -- A Long Island man allegedly went to great lengths to get a refund, and authorities say put the public in danger as a result.
Nassau County police said Rabin Purnsrian, 43, purchased products at several CVS stores in Nassau County. Prunsrian would then replace the original product with a different or expired product, which he often purchased at flea markets, and return it to a different CVS store for a full refund.
Authorities said that he has been carrying out this swap since March 1, 2010.
Customers would then purchase the returned items and receive a completely different, and possibly dangerous, product.
In one case, a 72-year-old woman became ill after purchasing an omega-3 fish oil supplement called "MegaRed." What she actually purchased, however, was a bottle of "Iron Man Plus," a male vitamin supplement that contained iron and yohimbe, a male enhancement drug.
Prunsrian returned products to eight different CVS stores located in Lynbrook, Woodmere, East Rockaway, Hewlett, Westbury, Franklin Square, Wantagh, and Rockville Centre.
The North Woodmere man is charged with grand larceny, falsifying business records, scheme to defraud and other charges.
Anyone who believes they may have ingested expired or mislabeled medications or vitamins should call their doctor immediately.
Anyone who thinks they may have been victimized should contact the Nassau County District Attorney's Office at (516) 870-2802.
long island, fraud, woodmere, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 32 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
32 min ago