Long Island News
Police say DUI drag racer to blame in elderly death
SYOSSET, New York (WABC) -- Police say a drunk driver, drag racing in a dump truck, is the one being blamed for killing an elderly man on Long Island.
The deadly crash happened on Jericho Turnpike.
Police say the driver of a landscaping truck was heading eastbound when he plowed into oncoming traffic, colliding w a Mercedes Benz.
Detectives say 32-year-old Everardo Nieto was driving drunk behind the wheel of a 2000 ford dump truck.
A witness spotted the two landscaping trucks stopped at a light and told police they were drag racing.
Police say Nieto slammed the truck head on into an elderly couple. The 84-year-old female driver of the Mercedes survived, but her 86-year-old husband died in the crash.
Nieto is charged with aggravated vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter, aggravated vehicular assault, assault and reckless driving and DWI.
He was held on $500,000 bail following his arraignment Tuesday morning in Hempstead.
long island, drag racing, drunk driving, long island news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 50 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 25 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 12 min ago