Long Island News
Police say DUI drag racer to blame in elderly death
SYOSSET, New York (WABC) -- Police say a drunk driver, drag racing in a dump truck, is the one being blamed for killing an elderly man on Long Island.
The deadly crash happened on Jericho Turnpike.
Police say the driver of a landscaping truck was heading eastbound when he plowed into oncoming traffic, colliding w a Mercedes Benz.
Detectives say 32-year-old Everardo Nieto was driving drunk behind the wheel of a 2000 ford dump truck.
A witness spotted the two landscaping trucks stopped at a light and told police they were drag racing.
Police say Nieto slammed the truck head on into an elderly couple. The 84-year-old female driver of the Mercedes survived, but her 86-year-old husband died in the crash.
Nieto is charged with aggravated vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter, aggravated vehicular assault, assault and reckless driving and DWI.
He was held on $500,000 bail following his arraignment Tuesday morning in Hempstead.
long island, drag racing, drunk driving, long island news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall