Long Island News
LI woman accused of starving dog that later died
FARMINGDALE -- A Long Island woman has been arrested on animal cruelty charges for allegedly starving and neglecting her 2-year-old great Dane. Prosecutors say even surgery and 10-day veterinarian round-the-clock care couldn't save him.
Rose Neira of Farmingdale pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of torturing and injuring an animal and failing to provide it with proper sustenance. If convicted, she faces up to a year in jail. She was released without bail.
Nassau County prosecutors say when investigators found Zack on Nov. 22, the great Dane weighed 82 pounds with protruding ribs and backbone. Healthy great Danes weight an average 135 pounds. He died on Wednesday.
Neira was represented by a Legal Aid attorney.
long island, farmingdale, animal abuse, long island news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island 34 min ago
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 13 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 24 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 41 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos