Long Island News
LI woman accused of starving dog that later died
FARMINGDALE -- A Long Island woman has been arrested on animal cruelty charges for allegedly starving and neglecting her 2-year-old great Dane. Prosecutors say even surgery and 10-day veterinarian round-the-clock care couldn't save him.
Rose Neira of Farmingdale pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of torturing and injuring an animal and failing to provide it with proper sustenance. If convicted, she faces up to a year in jail. She was released without bail.
Nassau County prosecutors say when investigators found Zack on Nov. 22, the great Dane weighed 82 pounds with protruding ribs and backbone. Healthy great Danes weight an average 135 pounds. He died on Wednesday.
Neira was represented by a Legal Aid attorney.
long island, farmingdale, animal abuse, long island news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 17 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 17 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 51 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos