Long Island News
Two more wrong way DWI arrests on Long Island
SHIRLEY, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have arrested two drivers in separate incidents for allegedly driving drunk the wrong way on major highways.
The arrests are the fourth and fifth incidents of wrong-way driving in a month. Unlike the other incidents, however, neither arrest early Thursday involved accidents or injuries.
The first arrest involved a driver on the Long Island Expressway who was chased for several miles before being stopped in East Yaphank just after midnight.
About an hour later, another driver was stopped on Sunrise Highway in Shirley.
An off-duty NYPD officer was killed in a wrong-way crash on the Northern State Parkway on Nov. 15. A day later, a woman was arrested on the LIE going the wrong way. Last Friday, a college administator crashed eluding a highway roadblock.
long island, long island expressway, drunk driving, wrong way driver, long island news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday