Long Island News
Two more wrong way DWI arrests on Long Island
SHIRLEY, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have arrested two drivers in separate incidents for allegedly driving drunk the wrong way on major highways.
The arrests are the fourth and fifth incidents of wrong-way driving in a month. Unlike the other incidents, however, neither arrest early Thursday involved accidents or injuries.
The first arrest involved a driver on the Long Island Expressway who was chased for several miles before being stopped in East Yaphank just after midnight.
About an hour later, another driver was stopped on Sunrise Highway in Shirley.
An off-duty NYPD officer was killed in a wrong-way crash on the Northern State Parkway on Nov. 15. A day later, a woman was arrested on the LIE going the wrong way. Last Friday, a college administator crashed eluding a highway roadblock.
long island, long island expressway, drunk driving, wrong way driver, long island news
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green