Long Island News
Taxi driver fatally shot in Copiague, Long Island
COPIAGUE -- Police say a taxi driver was found fatally shot in his vehicle parked on a Long Island street where he had gone to pick up a customer.
Today the grief spilled over at the Copiague home of 19-year-old Juan Rosario.
Rosario was gunned down just a few blocks away as he tried to make a living driving for a local cab company.
His father Antonio spent the morning at the Suffolk county morgue.
"He was a very sweet, sweet son, was a lotta, lotta friends," said the dad.
The gruesome discovery happened just after dark yesterday on a quiet dead end street.
A woman spotted a strange minivan in front of her home with its driver slumped over the wheel.
It turned out Rosario had been shot and killed after cops say he responded to a bogus call for a ride, and found himself face to face not with a passenger, but with at least one gunman.
Detectives say they still aren't sure if Rosario was the random victim of an intended robbery or was targeted for execution.
Cops say Rosario, who'd been driving for the cab service for about a month, had no drivers license.
Meanwhile investigators returned to the scene today to look for clues, the search for answers only just beginning.
The shock has already spread throughout Suffolk county's small community of cab drivers.
People like Kevin Johnson, who cruised by today to see for himself.
"That can happen to anybody in the cab business. Cause you never know what you're gonna get when you pull up at somebody's house," he said.
long island, murder, long island news
- Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers checked 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 10 min ago
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers...
2 min ago