Long Island News
Woman in LI hitman case gets max sentence
GARDEN CITY, NY (WABC) -- A mother convicted of trying to hire a hit man to murder her husband received the maximum prison sentence Friday.
Forty-four-year-old Susan Williams, from Garden City, was locked in a bitter divorce battle and wanted to cash in on her husband's $1 million life insurance policy. Now, she will spend 8 1/3 to 25 years behind bars.
Surveillance video showed Williams offering to pay $20,000 to an undercover detective posing as the hitman.
"I don't want this to be a made-for-TV movie," Williams said on the tape. "I want it as simple as possible. If I could do it myself, I would."
Williams, who had no idea she was dealing with a cop, explained why she'll have no remorse.
"It's a nightmare," she said. "He's scum. Cops come to my door, that's what I'll think about."
During the meeting, she handed over some cash.
Prosecutors noted that she had multiple opportunities to walk away and didn't.
long island, garden city, long island news
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting 2 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Box cutter found on Tokyo flight to NYC
- Upper East Side convenience store robbed at gunpoint
- Man beaten with a bat and brick for his iPod
- LIRR: Near normal commute expected Wednesday
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez questioned in murder
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100 in Game 6
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench
- Photos: Most Wanted: Nassau County
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
46 min ago