Long Island News
Woman in LI hitman case gets max sentence
GARDEN CITY, NY (WABC) -- A mother convicted of trying to hire a hit man to murder her husband received the maximum prison sentence Friday.
Forty-four-year-old Susan Williams, from Garden City, was locked in a bitter divorce battle and wanted to cash in on her husband's $1 million life insurance policy. Now, she will spend 8 1/3 to 25 years behind bars.
Surveillance video showed Williams offering to pay $20,000 to an undercover detective posing as the hitman.
"I don't want this to be a made-for-TV movie," Williams said on the tape. "I want it as simple as possible. If I could do it myself, I would."
Williams, who had no idea she was dealing with a cop, explained why she'll have no remorse.
"It's a nightmare," she said. "He's scum. Cops come to my door, that's what I'll think about."
During the meeting, she handed over some cash.
Prosecutors noted that she had multiple opportunities to walk away and didn't.
long island, garden city, long island news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos