Long Island News
LI woman fatally struck by snow plow pickup
CENTER MORICHES, N.Y. -- Police on Long Island say a 64-year-old woman was struck and killed by a pickup truck that was plowing a snow-covered parking lot.
It happened just after 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of a bus rental company in Center Moriches.
Police say Doris Metz, of Mastic Beach, was walking across the lot when the truck, which had a a snow plow attached to the front, backed into her. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police say it was freezing rain at the time and the driver apparently did not see the woman.
The vehicle was impounded for a safety check and the investigation is continuing.
long island, accidental death, snow, snow storm, long island news
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members 5 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 19 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 34 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos