Long Island News
2 deaths on Long Island attributed to storm
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are reporting two fatalities linked to the latest double-barreled winter storm that dumped more than a foot of snow.
A 64-year-old woman was struck and killed Wednesday by a pickup truck that was plowing a snow-covered parking lot in Center Moriches, on eastern Long Island.
Police say Doris Metz, of Mastic Beach, was walking across the lot when the truck, which had a snow plow attached, backed into her. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
In Smithtown, 42-year-old Svitlana Shvets was killed Wednesday afternoon when her car crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with two cars before crashing into a snowbank during the storm.
Drivers in the other two cars had injuries that were not life-threatening.
Investigations of both accidents are ongoing.
The heavy snow blocked roads and stalled rail commuters all over the island.
The National Weather Service recorded snowfalls of 15.7 inches in Commack, Suffolk County and 15 inches fell in Plainview, Nassau County.
The Long Island Rail Road canceled dozens of morning westbound trains and also reported several delays.
Service was temporarily suspended on the Huntington/Port Jefferson, West Hempstead and Hempstead branches in both directions due to weather-related conditions.
Bus service was also suspended Thursday morning.
long island, suffolk county, nassau county, winter storm, snow, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos