Long Island News
Homeowners warned of roof collapses with snow
PORT JEFFERSON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Roof collapses are a real concern with all of the snow and ice.
Snow on roofs is now frozen and packed even more.
It's been a worrisome day for homeowners, but a field day for roof repairmen.
In fact, at least one landscaper on Long Island, sensing a new business opportunity, is now going into roof repairs.
The damage of ice and snow is evident.
Icicles are visible on the exterior of the home on Pilgrim Drive in Port Jefferson.
Workers tried to alleviate the problem stemming from the buildup of ice and snow on the roof.
Company owner Jeff Brett says this is the kind of scenario that leads to a collapse.
The weight of the heavy snow and ice is creating problems across the region, from homes to businesses.
A gas station in Westbury was forced to shut down Wednesday after a canopy came down.
Brett warned homeowners to remain vigilant.
long island, snow, snow removal, snow storm, ice, ice storm, long island news, lauren defranco
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97