Long Island News
Funeral for Long Island cop killed in crash
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- Thousands of officers from around the region attended a funeral Thursday in Seaford for Nassau County Police Officer Michael Califano.
Califano was remembered as a great friend and family man.
He was killed last Friday night when a truck slammed into the rear of his police cruiser on the Long Island Expressway in Old Westbury, N.Y.
Officer Michael Mullen worked with Califano. He says it's not guns or other violence, but routine traffic stops, which pose the most danger to police.
Mullen called the 12-year veteran and married father of three boys a warm-hearted guy and great family man.
The truck's driver, 25-year-old John Kaley, is charged with criminally negligent homicide and assault.
Kaley, of New Britain, Connecticut, was held without bail after his arrest, but a judge Tuesday set bail at $47,500. Defense attorney William Petrillo said his client's thoughts are with the officer's family. He said the crash was accidental and not a crime.
Investigators say Kaley had fallen asleep behind the wheel. He suffered minor injuries, as did his fiancee, who was riding with him.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says drowsy drivers cause more than 100,000 crashes every year. The toll is more than 1,500 people killed and 40,000 injured.
long island, nassau county, long island expressway, officer killed, long island news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97