Long Island News
Charges brought against 33 in rooster fights
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. -- Suffolk County Police say officers have raided a Long Island rooster fighting operation, arresting two operators and 31 spectators.
The police department said it conducted the raid shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday at an address on Half Mile Road in Central Islip. The raid was aided by the county's Emergency Services department and the Suffolk County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Police officers say they observed numerous roosters fighting in a basement with more birds in cages awaiting their turns. Police removed approximately 35 roosters, along with equipment used to ready the birds for the fight. They also recovered a fighting ring, scales and spectator seating. Two men charged with felony counts of violating animal fighting laws awaited court appearances. The rest were issued tickets and released.
long island, animal abuse, animals, central islip, arrest, long island news
- LIRR train derails in East River tunnel
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Storm
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Victim of attempted robbery falls out window
- Suspect shot and killed in Newark robbery attempt
- Teacher suspended after alleged sending threatening voicemail
- Passenger arrested after incident on Newark-bound flight
- LI 7-Eleven owners accused of human smuggling
- NYC plans composting program to recycle food scraps
- abcnews: Murnaghans Face Backlash After Sarah's Lung...
- Actor Jeff Garlin won't face vandalism charges in LA
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos