Long Island News
SPCA: Multiple dead, dying animals found in home
SHIRLEY (WABC) -- Suffolk County investigators say they found one of the worst cases of animal abuse they have ever seen in Shirley.
Officials said the single family home was filled with dying and dead animals.
At last count, there were 72 live animals found, and at least a dozen dead animals located.
According to investigators, 36 Malba Drive in Shirley was 1,400 square feet of squalor.
"It's a nightmare," said Steve Layton, of the SPCA.
They say there was feces and urine everywhere, along with dead and dying animals.
"One of the worst scenes I've ever seen," Layton said.
Seasoned investigators and others cringed at the smell and the horror that was inside.
"It's deplorable and not sanitary for anyone to live in," Brookhaven Town Councilman Dan Panico said.
But there were people living in the home.
Officials say the home is owned by an 85-year-old woman of "diminished mental capacity."
Living with her in the home, was 23-year-old Alan Warner, his 18-year-old pregnant girlfriend, and their 5-year-old child.
Officials say they were supposed to be helping to care for the elderly woman.
But over a period of time for some unknown reason, Warner started bringing in animals, and neighbors began to notice.
"Couple of weeks ago I heard a Moo, I didn't believe it," said Paul Coraci, a neighbor.
Coraci notified town officials.
"The smell was horrendous!" Coraci said.
There were animals all over the house from the attic to the basement and even outside in the snow and freezing temperatures.
There was a cow inside the home, along with a deer, rabbits, mice, snakes, goats, pigs, birds, chinchillas, dogs and other animals.
As they waded through filth and debris to rescue the animals, some workers covered themselves in hazardous materials suits.
They carried the surviving animals to safety and to waiting veterinarians.
Warner has reportedly admitted to housing the animals and criminal charges are expected to be filed against him.
DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS TO ADD TO THIS STORY? CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD THEM TO IWITNESS.7ONLINE.COM, OR E-MAIL THEM TO IWITNESS@WABC.COM
breaking news, long island, suffolk county, shirley, long island news, jeff pegues
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 58 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 59 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
38 min ago