Long Island News
SPCA: Multiple dead, dying animals found in home
SHIRLEY (WABC) -- Suffolk County investigators say they found one of the worst cases of animal abuse they have ever seen in Shirley.
Officials said the single family home was filled with dying and dead animals.
At last count, there were 72 live animals found, and at least a dozen dead animals located.
According to investigators, 36 Malba Drive in Shirley was 1,400 square feet of squalor.
"It's a nightmare," said Steve Layton, of the SPCA.
They say there was feces and urine everywhere, along with dead and dying animals.
"One of the worst scenes I've ever seen," Layton said.
Seasoned investigators and others cringed at the smell and the horror that was inside.
"It's deplorable and not sanitary for anyone to live in," Brookhaven Town Councilman Dan Panico said.
But there were people living in the home.
Officials say the home is owned by an 85-year-old woman of "diminished mental capacity."
Living with her in the home, was 23-year-old Alan Warner, his 18-year-old pregnant girlfriend, and their 5-year-old child.
Officials say they were supposed to be helping to care for the elderly woman.
But over a period of time for some unknown reason, Warner started bringing in animals, and neighbors began to notice.
"Couple of weeks ago I heard a Moo, I didn't believe it," said Paul Coraci, a neighbor.
Coraci notified town officials.
"The smell was horrendous!" Coraci said.
There were animals all over the house from the attic to the basement and even outside in the snow and freezing temperatures.
There was a cow inside the home, along with a deer, rabbits, mice, snakes, goats, pigs, birds, chinchillas, dogs and other animals.
As they waded through filth and debris to rescue the animals, some workers covered themselves in hazardous materials suits.
They carried the surviving animals to safety and to waiting veterinarians.
Warner has reportedly admitted to housing the animals and criminal charges are expected to be filed against him.
DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS TO ADD TO THIS STORY? CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD THEM TO IWITNESS.7ONLINE.COM, OR E-MAIL THEM TO IWITNESS@WABC.COM
breaking news, long island, suffolk county, shirley, long island news, jeff pegues
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
1 min ago