Long Island News
Police: LI man drives car into 2 off-duty officers
HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. -- A Long Island taxi driver has pleaded not guilty after being accused of trying to run down two Nassau County officers.
The attorney for the cab driver calls the charges "unjustified."
Suffolk County police say 26-year-old Thomas Moroughan was shot early Sunday after a dispute with the two off-duty Nassau County officers in Huntington Station.
Both officers were struck by the cab as Moroughan fled, according to police.
The police officers were treated for cuts and bruises.
For his part, Moroughan claims the incident started when he spotted the officers driving recklessly.
Later, he says he came up on them, at the side of the road.
He does admit to yelling, but his attorney insists the cops were the aggressors - and that investigators rushed to judgment.
"He is a victim in this case, a victim of police brutality," said his attorney.
Bail was set at $2,500.
long island, huntington, nassau county, taxi, police officer injured, long island news
- Nekisia Davis' mom, Cheryl, stole a 1993 Honda Accord - and she didn't even mean to. 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Burlington County woman charged with trying to kill her 3...
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 23 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 20 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos