Long Island News
Funeral held for fallen L.I. police officer
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- An emotional day on Long Island as the funeral for the officer shot and killed by friendly fire last weekend was held.
Last Saturday the 40-year-old Breitkopf was wearing plainclothes, and carrying a rifle pointed down when he walked into a scene that would ultimately cost him his life.
Breitkopf was accidentally shot by an MTA police officer in a case of mistaken identity.
After police had shot and killed 21-year-old Anthony DiGeronimo, a self described anarchist, his colleagues are said to be devastated.
Today Breitkopf was remembered as a devoted husband and father of two young boys and his dedication to the community.
Brietkopf, a 12-year veteran of the force, was assigned to the elite special operations bureau.
He was a volunteer firefighter as well.
Mourners attended a tearful wake for him Wednesday, at the Selden firehouse where he volunteered.
long island, police officer killed, police officer shot, long island news
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 41 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 46 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 27 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32