Long Island News
Funeral held for fallen L.I. police officer
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- An emotional day on Long Island as the funeral for the officer shot and killed by friendly fire last weekend was held.
Last Saturday the 40-year-old Breitkopf was wearing plainclothes, and carrying a rifle pointed down when he walked into a scene that would ultimately cost him his life.
Breitkopf was accidentally shot by an MTA police officer in a case of mistaken identity.
After police had shot and killed 21-year-old Anthony DiGeronimo, a self described anarchist, his colleagues are said to be devastated.
Today Breitkopf was remembered as a devoted husband and father of two young boys and his dedication to the community.
Brietkopf, a 12-year veteran of the force, was assigned to the elite special operations bureau.
He was a volunteer firefighter as well.
Mourners attended a tearful wake for him Wednesday, at the Selden firehouse where he volunteered.
long island, police officer killed, police officer shot, long island news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers