Long Island News
Funeral held for fallen L.I. police officer
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- An emotional day on Long Island as the funeral for the officer shot and killed by friendly fire last weekend was held.
Last Saturday the 40-year-old Breitkopf was wearing plainclothes, and carrying a rifle pointed down when he walked into a scene that would ultimately cost him his life.
Breitkopf was accidentally shot by an MTA police officer in a case of mistaken identity.
After police had shot and killed 21-year-old Anthony DiGeronimo, a self described anarchist, his colleagues are said to be devastated.
Today Breitkopf was remembered as a devoted husband and father of two young boys and his dedication to the community.
Brietkopf, a 12-year veteran of the force, was assigned to the elite special operations bureau.
He was a volunteer firefighter as well.
Mourners attended a tearful wake for him Wednesday, at the Selden firehouse where he volunteered.
long island, police officer killed, police officer shot, long island news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 42 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 26 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 4 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos