Long Island News
Hundreds protest at NY animal shelter
HEMPSTEAD, NY -- Hundreds of people have been rallying against what they say is inadequate care of animals at a shelter on Long Island.
The protesters also demanded Saturday that the acting director of the Hempstead Animal Shelter be fired after she was spotted on a YouTube video apparently mocking a kitten that was about to be euthanized.
Acting director Pat Horan was reassigned last week while officials investigate. Town officials have said the video in question was at least 17 years old. They have not made Horan available for comment, and she is not charged with wrongdoing.
The shelter is under investigation for alleged abuse by workers.
The video shows Horan and other employees laughing and making obscene gestures while preparing the kitten to be euthanized.
long island, hempstead, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ