Long Island News
Police: Man barricades self, son in LI home
WESTBURY -- Police have arrested a man they say broke into his girlfriend's Long Island home and barricaded himself inside with their 13-year-old son for nearly seven hours before surrendering.
Police charged Alex Mitchell, of Barbados, with burglary, unlawful imprisonment and endangering the welfare of a child.
When he refused to leave, the two argued and the woman called police. As she was leaving with her son, police say, Mitchell grabbed the boy and barricaded himself and the child inside.
Mitchell finally surrendered at 5:45 p.m. Sunday. No one was injured. No weapons were recovered.
long island, westbury, long island news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 47 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 56 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 9 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
38 min ago