Long Island News
Happaugue High carefully cleans mats to avoid MRSA
HAPPAUGUE, New York (WABC) -- A high school on Long Island is taking new, and somewhat expensive, steps to keep its athletes healthy.
They are using high-tech equipment to kill germs from MRSA, a highly contagious illness.
With the new machine, it looks like Chris Messina is mowing an imaginary lawn, but the contraption is actually using ultraviolet lights to kill germs.
It's a task the Hauppauge High School's wrestling coach has never taken more seriously.
"In 32 years I've never ever experienced anything that was this scary or even remotely near to this," he said.
Last month, a member of his team almost died. Nick Mauriello was attacked at a wrestling meet by the so called superbug MRSA.
"He almost died, absolutely. In the prime of his life. It went from a little muscle pull to being on a ventilator being in a coma. It was just a terrible terrible experience," adds Messina.
Players of contact sports like wrestling are especially susceptible to bacterial or viral infections.
Over a year ago, the Hauppauge school district invested $2,000 in the device, which they use four times a week. It's just one in a series of germ-killing tools.
Just to walk into the wrestling room you have to step on a mat filled with disinfectant solution. Then there are body wipes all over the place. But even with all these precautions, Nick still got sick.
There are no state guidelines governing cleanliness on the wrestling mat.
Messina says other schools aren't nearly as vigilant has Hauppauge. Mauriello likely caught MRSA at a meet, somewhere else.
The star wrestler beat the bug and he's now out of the hospital and recovering at home.
long island, hauppauge, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 49 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 23 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
36 min ago