Long Island News
Victim's family worries about serial killer
OAK BEACH (WABC) -- The person who murdered Lynn Barthelemy's daughter, Melissa, continues to haunt her youngest child.
"I don't think I'll sleep until they catch this guy," Lynn said.
Melissa's sister talked to Good Morning America with her face hidden for security reasons.
"I'm scared for my own protection, the fact that he's calling my phone. I have to be worried that it is going to happen to me one day," she said.
After posting a personal ad on Craigslist, Melissa disappeared in July of 2009.
Five months later, police found the 24 year old's skeleton, wrapped in burlap in the thick brush of Gilgo Beach.
"My fiancee and I looked at each other and started crying," Lynn said.
Up until that point, relatives believed Melissa was alive, maybe somewhere in a hospital near her home in the Bronx.
A few days after Melissa first disappeared, her baby sister, who was in Buffalo, got a phone call. For a split second, it seemed like it was from Melissa.
"It came up on her caller id - Melissa - and then when there's a guy on the other end," Lynn explained.
Over the next 5 weeks or so, he would call the then 15 year old five more times, eerily each time from Melissa's cell.
At one point the caller said he had killed Melissa.
"They were very taunting and angry words. My heart would stop and I just didn't know what to do," the sister said.
And now with the investigation widening, lynn is also at a loss. She keeps a close eye on her youngest, convinced whoever is doing this, could still be watching her.
long island, suffolk county, gilgo beach, body found, long island news, kemberly richardson
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 22 min ago
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 16 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas 25 min ago