Long Island News
LI serial killer search resume Monday
OAK BEACH (WABC) -- The search for remains of more possible victims of a serial killer resumes on Long Island on Monday.
Investigators returned to the dunes on Friday, searching for more evidence and perhaps more remains.
Suffolk police divers searched the shallow waters near Oak Beach on Friday and recovered what appeared to some observers to be a bone fragment from the sandy bottom.
But like so many strange and not-so-strange-objects recovered here in recent days, its significance is impossible to measure. Authorities believe it is animal remains, but testing is not complete.
Authorities said identifying the human remains already recovered is crucial to this case.
"We're waiting for the forensic analysis of the remains that have been recently found in Suffolk County as well as those found in Nassau County. When we get those answers, as soon as we possibly can, we will make that information available," Dominick Varrone, Suffolk Police Chief of Detectives, said.
Only four of those bodies have been identified. All were women who vanished between July 2007 and September of last year.
There's still no trace of Shannan Gilbert, whose disappearance last year prompted the search that uncovered the bodies.
If there are others, investigators are hoping that a series of over-flights with a high-tech FBI imaging device will find them.
"These flyovers maybe able to identify skeletal remains that we have not located," Varrone said.
Varrone said the flyover is expected to happen on Monday.
long island, suffolk county, gilgo beach, body found, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies 30 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning 2 min ago
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon 45 min ago
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim 25 min ago
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos