Long Island News
Police continue search for clues in serial killer case
OAK BEACH (WABC) -- The search for remains of more possible victims of a serial killer resumed on Long Island on Monday.
But there is a whole other set of victims that no one has talked about: people who actually live there.
Using high tech sensors, a Blackhawk helicopter searched for bone fragments from the air.
Federal agents inspected would-be evidence on the ground, as Ocean Parkway sat closed to traffic yet again.
"In a place like this people say, 'Hey do you have a dozen eggs because I can't get to the store they closed the ocean parkway again'," said one resident.
Such is life for the handful of people who call Gilgo Beach home.
Many of them moved here decades ago for the anonymity, only to see their village become an international symbol of evil.
Pat recently found herself on the other side of the world, in China, reading news about her hometown.
"I have to tell you I thought how astonishing it was that they brought up Gilgo Beach. Used to be no one had any idea where I lived and now everybody says, 'Oh I know Gilgo Beach! It's that spot!'" Pat said.
Monday, that black hawk started its day over Oak Beach, where prostitute Shannan Gilbert vanished last May, setting off the search that's yielded almost a dozen sets of bones, all dumped on the north side of Ocean Parkway.
The helicopter then crept its way west, right over Adrienne Smith's house.
"It's a little bit unnerving. I'm hoping they don't find anything else, and I'm hoping that they find whoever did this very quickly," Smith said.
By the end of the week, divers will resume their search for bodies in the waterways all around this area.
In the meantime the people who live here wonder how much longer their little slice of heaven will be known to the entire world as a serial killer's graveyard.
long island, suffolk county, gilgo beach, body found, long island news, josh einiger
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Tipping dispute leads to assault outside LI nightclub
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Metro North train collision to affect...
58 min ago