Long Island News
Divers continue search in LI serial killer probe
OAK BEACH (WABC) -- The smallest bit of evidence, that's what crews on the south shore of Long Island are looking for in the ongoing serial killer investigation.
It's an area of interest so intense, it's the second time since January, police have scoured the very same spot.
"Could be a piece of jewelry, could be a piece of apparel anything of interest. We don't really know what we're looking for said Dep. Inspector Harold Jantzen.
Gilbert was last seen after visiting a client named Joseph Brewer, who from the beginning has maintained his innocence in Gilbert's disappearance, and who police say is not a suspect.
In December, cops braved the frigid weather to search for Gilbert found the first of at least nine bodies along Ocean Parkway, four of them later id'd as prostitutes, who like Gilbert, had advertised on Craigslist.
Earlier this week, a blackhawk helicopter hovered over the beach association, as FBI agents aboard used high tech equipment that could pinpoint the location of more human remains.
But police say that blackhawk flight has nothing to do with today's dive, which in the end turned up no new evidence in the hunt for Gilbert, or the search for a serial killer.
long island, suffolk county, gilgo beach, body found, long island news, josh einiger
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
1 min ago