Long Island News
Divers continue search in LI serial killer probe
OAK BEACH (WABC) -- The smallest bit of evidence, that's what crews on the south shore of Long Island are looking for in the ongoing serial killer investigation.
It's an area of interest so intense, it's the second time since January, police have scoured the very same spot.
"Could be a piece of jewelry, could be a piece of apparel anything of interest. We don't really know what we're looking for said Dep. Inspector Harold Jantzen.
Gilbert was last seen after visiting a client named Joseph Brewer, who from the beginning has maintained his innocence in Gilbert's disappearance, and who police say is not a suspect.
In December, cops braved the frigid weather to search for Gilbert found the first of at least nine bodies along Ocean Parkway, four of them later id'd as prostitutes, who like Gilbert, had advertised on Craigslist.
Earlier this week, a blackhawk helicopter hovered over the beach association, as FBI agents aboard used high tech equipment that could pinpoint the location of more human remains.
But police say that blackhawk flight has nothing to do with today's dive, which in the end turned up no new evidence in the hunt for Gilbert, or the search for a serial killer.
long island, suffolk county, gilgo beach, body found, long island news, josh einiger
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 39 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area 51 min ago
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 57 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen