Long Island News
LI man accused of strangling 88-year-old mother
GARDEN CITY -- A Long Island man is facing murder charges after police say he strangled his mother and then slashed his own wrists.
A press release says a 56-year-old James Olsen called police, telling them he had strangled his mother. When officers arrived, they found 88-year-old Ruth Olsen woman dead.
The man was taken to a hospital for self-inflicted slash wounds to his wrist. His condition was not immediately known.
He was expected to be arraigned on a second-degree murder charge at a later date. It was not known if the man had a lawyer.
long island, garden city, murder, long island news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos