Long Island News
Driver clocked at 126 mph on LIE
NORTH HILLS (WABC) -- A Central Islip man is facing numerous charges after police clocked him at speeds over 120 mph on the LIE.
It happened early Sunday morning in North Hills.
They recorded him traveling at a speed of 126 mph minutes later near exit 41.
As police tried to get Melendez to stop, authorities said other motorists on the road were forced to take evasive action in order to avoid getting into an accident with him.
Police eventually stopped Melendez at exit 34.
He faces charges of driving while intoxicated, reckless endangerment and about 10 other traffic violations.
long island, north hills, central islip, speeding, reckless driving, long island news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 20 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 55 min ago
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 32 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 24 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos