Long Island News
Driver clocked at 126 mph on LIE
NORTH HILLS (WABC) -- A Central Islip man is facing numerous charges after police clocked him at speeds over 120 mph on the LIE.
It happened early Sunday morning in North Hills.
They recorded him traveling at a speed of 126 mph minutes later near exit 41.
As police tried to get Melendez to stop, authorities said other motorists on the road were forced to take evasive action in order to avoid getting into an accident with him.
Police eventually stopped Melendez at exit 34.
He faces charges of driving while intoxicated, reckless endangerment and about 10 other traffic violations.
long island, north hills, central islip, speeding, reckless driving, long island news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 56 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos