Long Island News
Driver charged after deadly DWI crash
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- Oscar Ramirez-Lopez, 29, of Brentwood NY,was charged with vehicular manslaughter, driving while intoxicated and driving without a license.
The New York State Police say he was drunk when he crashed into another car on the Wantagh Parkway Northbound about ¼ mile south of Hempstead Turnpike.
Two people were killed.
It happened early Saturday morning.
Police say Ramirez-Lopez, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, was driving a Ford-Windstar north bound on the Wantagh Parkway.
The Windstar sideswiped a 2000 Kia-Sephia, driven by Ilario Scuteri, 49, of West Islip, NY.
The collision killed Scuteri and his passenger, Daniel Cambardella, 46, of North Babylon, NY.
"Family meant everything to him," Cambardella's cousin John Gil.
Cambardella leaves behind his 7-year-old daughter, Ava and his wife India.
"I've never seen anybody be a family man like him. He spent every spare second of his life with his kids." Cambardella's uncle Charles Ciani said.
Investigators say the Windstar was traveling on the left lane of the roadway and the Kia on the right lane when the Windstar sideswiped the Kia.
After being struck by the Windstar the Kia left the roadway, entered the right shoulder and traveled northeast on the shoulder of the roadway until it struck a tree.
The Windstar struck the center divider twice before coming to a stop on the middle of the roadway.
Anyone who may have witness the accident or has any information pertaining to this incident is urged to contact Inv. Sean Michael Pagano at (516) 561-8492. All calls will be kept confidential.
The investigation is continuing.
long island, drunk driving, accident, long island news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers