Long Island News
Police: Man says he was adrift on raft for days
WANTAGH, N.Y. -- Police say an armed man found walking on the boardwalk of Jones Beach State Park in New York told them he had been adrift at sea for days in a raft after he was separated from a fishing boat.
The man was being evaluated at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.
State Park Police identified him as Pablo Perez, a 47-year-old resident of Flushing, Queens.
Police say a jogger encountered Perez on the boardwalk at about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday, wearing a wet suit under his clothes.
They say Perez told first responders he was carrying a gun. Police seized the gun and discovered it was loaded.
A 9-foot raft was found along the shore. The U.S. Coast Guard told police it had no reports of a missing fishing boat.
long island, wantagh, long island news
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
12 min ago