Long Island News
Long Island firefighter dies while responding to blaze
BALDWIN (WABC) -- As fire fighters attacked the flames that consumed the house on Grand Avenue in Baldwin, one of their own was fighting for life and he didn't make it.
During the short ride to the fire, he felt the first symptoms of a massive heart attack.
"He had complained of some chest pains en route to the call, came to the command post and that's when EMS transported him while we were still fighting the fire," Chief Kevin Smith said.
By the time the fire was out, chief smith got the awful news. His longtime friend didn't make it.
Esposito spent half his life volunteering to help others in need. He was a three time former captain and a member of the department's racing team.
The heart attack, smith says, came out of the blue.
A few miles away, work crews boarded up the now condemned house. All eight people who lived in the home escaped without injury.
long island, baldwin, firefighter killed, long island news, josh einiger
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's 39 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death 39 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands 38 min ago
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years 50 min ago
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
32 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos