Long Island News
Long Island firefighter dies while responding to blaze
BALDWIN (WABC) -- As fire fighters attacked the flames that consumed the house on Grand Avenue in Baldwin, one of their own was fighting for life and he didn't make it.
During the short ride to the fire, he felt the first symptoms of a massive heart attack.
"He had complained of some chest pains en route to the call, came to the command post and that's when EMS transported him while we were still fighting the fire," Chief Kevin Smith said.
By the time the fire was out, chief smith got the awful news. His longtime friend didn't make it.
Esposito spent half his life volunteering to help others in need. He was a three time former captain and a member of the department's racing team.
The heart attack, smith says, came out of the blue.
A few miles away, work crews boarded up the now condemned house. All eight people who lived in the home escaped without injury.
long island, baldwin, firefighter killed, long island news, josh einiger
- Missing plane may have turned back 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 46 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 5 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
23 min ago