Long Island News
Long Island firefighter dies while responding to blaze
BALDWIN (WABC) -- As fire fighters attacked the flames that consumed the house on Grand Avenue in Baldwin, one of their own was fighting for life and he didn't make it.
During the short ride to the fire, he felt the first symptoms of a massive heart attack.
"He had complained of some chest pains en route to the call, came to the command post and that's when EMS transported him while we were still fighting the fire," Chief Kevin Smith said.
By the time the fire was out, chief smith got the awful news. His longtime friend didn't make it.
Esposito spent half his life volunteering to help others in need. He was a three time former captain and a member of the department's racing team.
The heart attack, smith says, came out of the blue.
A few miles away, work crews boarded up the now condemned house. All eight people who lived in the home escaped without injury.
long island, baldwin, firefighter killed, long island news, josh einiger
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 14 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Firefightes battling Bronx car fire find body inside 28 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 14 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 19 min ago
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
14 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos