Long Island News
Long Island firefighter dies while responding to blaze
BALDWIN (WABC) -- As fire fighters attacked the flames that consumed the house on Grand Avenue in Baldwin, one of their own was fighting for life and he didn't make it.
During the short ride to the fire, he felt the first symptoms of a massive heart attack.
"He had complained of some chest pains en route to the call, came to the command post and that's when EMS transported him while we were still fighting the fire," Chief Kevin Smith said.
By the time the fire was out, chief smith got the awful news. His longtime friend didn't make it.
Esposito spent half his life volunteering to help others in need. He was a three time former captain and a member of the department's racing team.
The heart attack, smith says, came out of the blue.
A few miles away, work crews boarded up the now condemned house. All eight people who lived in the home escaped without injury.
long island, baldwin, firefighter killed, long island news, josh einiger
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 42 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos