Long Island News
Long Island firefighter dies while responding to blaze
BALDWIN (WABC) -- As fire fighters attacked the flames that consumed the house on Grand Avenue in Baldwin, one of their own was fighting for life and he didn't make it.
During the short ride to the fire, he felt the first symptoms of a massive heart attack.
"He had complained of some chest pains en route to the call, came to the command post and that's when EMS transported him while we were still fighting the fire," Chief Kevin Smith said.
By the time the fire was out, chief smith got the awful news. His longtime friend didn't make it.
Esposito spent half his life volunteering to help others in need. He was a three time former captain and a member of the department's racing team.
The heart attack, smith says, came out of the blue.
A few miles away, work crews boarded up the now condemned house. All eight people who lived in the home escaped without injury.
long island, baldwin, firefighter killed, long island news, josh einiger
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 19 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 9 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos