Long Island News
Headless body not related to Gilgo beach case
THE HAMPTONS (WABC) -- Police say a headless body found on a Long Island beach is not related to the Gilgo beach investigation.
The Suffolk County Medical Examiner has determine the body found on an Amagansett beach Monday is that of a man between 20-30 years old. He was "small in stature" and his race is unknown. There are no other obvious signs of trauma.
It was discovered about 100 miles east of Gilgo Beach.
Just before noon yesterday, police say a beach walker near a place called Albert's Landing saw something suspicious in the shallow tide, and called 911. According to a source, police determined it was a headless human body which was "in really rough shape," almost entirely bones with only a bit of skin left.
Police believe it was in the water through the winter, but they have no idea where it came from; there are no active missing person cases in the area.
The tides around the twin forks can be unpredictable. Last year, a body that washed up on a south-facing beach in East Hampton was identified as a missing man from Connecticut. The body had crossed the Long Island Sound and curved around the tip of the East End.
As for this weekend's discovery, police call it a true mystery. While there's no obvious evidence of foul play, the Suffolk Police homicide squad will be taking over the case.
East Hampton Police are looking at missing persons reports from the region, in hopes they find a possible match. They are asking for help from the public as they try to ID the body, people urged to call 631-537-7575.
long island, gilgo beach, body found, long island news, josh einiger
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 47 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 52 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 33 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32