Long Island News
Headless body not related to Gilgo beach case
THE HAMPTONS (WABC) -- Police say a headless body found on a Long Island beach is not related to the Gilgo beach investigation.
The Suffolk County Medical Examiner has determine the body found on an Amagansett beach Monday is that of a man between 20-30 years old. He was "small in stature" and his race is unknown. There are no other obvious signs of trauma.
It was discovered about 100 miles east of Gilgo Beach.
Just before noon yesterday, police say a beach walker near a place called Albert's Landing saw something suspicious in the shallow tide, and called 911. According to a source, police determined it was a headless human body which was "in really rough shape," almost entirely bones with only a bit of skin left.
Police believe it was in the water through the winter, but they have no idea where it came from; there are no active missing person cases in the area.
The tides around the twin forks can be unpredictable. Last year, a body that washed up on a south-facing beach in East Hampton was identified as a missing man from Connecticut. The body had crossed the Long Island Sound and curved around the tip of the East End.
As for this weekend's discovery, police call it a true mystery. While there's no obvious evidence of foul play, the Suffolk Police homicide squad will be taking over the case.
East Hampton Police are looking at missing persons reports from the region, in hopes they find a possible match. They are asking for help from the public as they try to ID the body, people urged to call 631-537-7575.
long island, gilgo beach, body found, long island news, josh einiger
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 32 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro-North: train outage expected for days
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show 20 min ago
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Bruins top Rangers 5-2 12 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
32 min ago