Long Island News
Remembering the fallen on Long Island
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- Half a decade has passed since Greg Licalzi lost his twin brother, but to him, it still seems like yesterday.
"It's been hard. Every day you have to wake up - especially for my parents, it's tough to wake up every day and realize Mike is gone and he's not coming back," Licalzi.
Second Lieutenant Michael Licalzi was commanding a troop of Marines in Iraq. Their tank crossed over a bridge, when that bridge crumbled beneath them. Licalzi and three others drowned in the water below.
In his hometown of Garden City today, they unveiled special plaques memorializing Licalzi and other native sons killed in action overseas.
Stephen Labate remembered a good friend named Jimmy Naughton, an Army reservist and NYPD officer killed by an Iraqi sniper.
"You could have been walking to a dining facility or perhaps just driving down a road, one minute you're there, the next minute you're not. That was something that I didn't expect, but it was actually reality," Labate said.
For him and thousands like him, Memorial Day is not about shopping or barbecues. It's a solemn reminder, never to forget.
"It's nice to have a day to remember Mike and have everybody around us remember Mike and know what he did for us," Licalzi said.
long island, memorial day, long island news, josh einiger
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 34 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- UPS facility fire damages packages on Long Island
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup 23 min ago
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
43 min ago