Long Island News
Remembering the fallen on Long Island
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- Half a decade has passed since Greg Licalzi lost his twin brother, but to him, it still seems like yesterday.
"It's been hard. Every day you have to wake up - especially for my parents, it's tough to wake up every day and realize Mike is gone and he's not coming back," Licalzi.
Second Lieutenant Michael Licalzi was commanding a troop of Marines in Iraq. Their tank crossed over a bridge, when that bridge crumbled beneath them. Licalzi and three others drowned in the water below.
In his hometown of Garden City today, they unveiled special plaques memorializing Licalzi and other native sons killed in action overseas.
Stephen Labate remembered a good friend named Jimmy Naughton, an Army reservist and NYPD officer killed by an Iraqi sniper.
"You could have been walking to a dining facility or perhaps just driving down a road, one minute you're there, the next minute you're not. That was something that I didn't expect, but it was actually reality," Labate said.
For him and thousands like him, Memorial Day is not about shopping or barbecues. It's a solemn reminder, never to forget.
"It's nice to have a day to remember Mike and have everybody around us remember Mike and know what he did for us," Licalzi said.
long island, memorial day, long island news, josh einiger
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 22 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend 19 min ago
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
22 min ago