Long Island News
Remembering the fallen on Long Island
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- Half a decade has passed since Greg Licalzi lost his twin brother, but to him, it still seems like yesterday.
"It's been hard. Every day you have to wake up - especially for my parents, it's tough to wake up every day and realize Mike is gone and he's not coming back," Licalzi.
Second Lieutenant Michael Licalzi was commanding a troop of Marines in Iraq. Their tank crossed over a bridge, when that bridge crumbled beneath them. Licalzi and three others drowned in the water below.
In his hometown of Garden City today, they unveiled special plaques memorializing Licalzi and other native sons killed in action overseas.
Stephen Labate remembered a good friend named Jimmy Naughton, an Army reservist and NYPD officer killed by an Iraqi sniper.
"You could have been walking to a dining facility or perhaps just driving down a road, one minute you're there, the next minute you're not. That was something that I didn't expect, but it was actually reality," Labate said.
For him and thousands like him, Memorial Day is not about shopping or barbecues. It's a solemn reminder, never to forget.
"It's nice to have a day to remember Mike and have everybody around us remember Mike and know what he did for us," Licalzi said.
long island, memorial day, long island news, josh einiger
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says 22 min ago
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos