Long Island News
Good Samaritans rescue 6 people from LI fire
LINDENHURST (WABC) -- Two Good Samaritans helped rescue six people from a burning home on Long Island.
The men were on a boat in the Great South Bay when they spotted the burning house on River Street in Lindenhurst.
They used a cell phone to record the scene as they raced to the house, even climbing a 6-foot tall wrought-iron fence to get there.
Once inside, they found an elderly woman using oxygen who was trapped on the second floor of the house.
A strong shore wind made the fire so powerful that the siding on the house next door began to melt.
It took more than 80 firefighters to get the blaze under control.
Two people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
long island, lindenhurst, fire, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Budget vote approved in the House 18 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees