Long Island News
Good Samaritans rescue 6 people from LI fire
LINDENHURST (WABC) -- Two Good Samaritans helped rescue six people from a burning home on Long Island.
The men were on a boat in the Great South Bay when they spotted the burning house on River Street in Lindenhurst.
They used a cell phone to record the scene as they raced to the house, even climbing a 6-foot tall wrought-iron fence to get there.
Once inside, they found an elderly woman using oxygen who was trapped on the second floor of the house.
A strong shore wind made the fire so powerful that the siding on the house next door began to melt.
It took more than 80 firefighters to get the blaze under control.
Two people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
long island, lindenhurst, fire, long island news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 21 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 35 min ago
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 10 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 27 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25 35 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 6 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos