Long Island News
13 hurt in bounce house accident on LI
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Bounce houses blew away in the wind in Oceanside Saturday, injuring 13 people outside a school.
The three inflatable bounce houses were provided as entertainment. While several of the children were playing inside, a heavy gust of wind blew across the field, raising them off the ground and sending them airborne.
"It was the craziest thing you ever saw," parent Vinny Garone said. "The next inflatable that two of my kids were in started bouncing and sliding. I tried to catch it, and it just flattened me."
Neighborhood residents and some of the players watched as the frightening accident unfolded.
"We were on the field when we saw it," witness Marcus Unger said. "We heard people screaming and we turned around, and the big bouncy house was flying around. And all these people were running away, scared. It looked like there were a lot of people hurt."
The bouncers then continued rolling after landing, striking several people on the ground.
In all, 13 people were hurt, as well as two people on the ground. None of the injuries was serious, but parents say the party was certainly spoiled.
"It's a big shame that it worked out this way, because the children really do enjoy it," parent Carol Cola said. "And it's the last game, it's a chance to tell you coaches how great they were, to tell your kids how great they played. It's a beautiful day, and it just got destroyed."
long island, oceanside, long island news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday