Long Island News
LI man drowns trying to save stepson
RIVERHEAD, NY (WABC) -- The body of a New York man who went missing after rescuing his 10-year-old stepson from Long Island Sound has been recovered near a beach.
Authorities say 35-year-old Edwin Barahona's body was found on shore just west of where he was last seen in the waters off Wading River early Saturday morning.
Riverhead police Detective Mike Schmidt says the Bellport man went into the water to help the boy, who was playing in the water near Creek Road while his mother took snapshots Friday night.
Jim Loscalzo helped rescue the 10-year-old boy from the waters off his beachfront home.
According to police, the boy, whom they decline to identify because of his age and his mother, also unidentified, were at the beach with her husband, the boy's stepfather, identified as Edwin Barahona, 35.
The boy was alone, chest-deep in the water, as the mother watched him from the beach, and then a strong undertow pulled the boy much farther out to sea.
"The father was fishing, and he grabbed a small swimming pool float, inflatable, and he swam out there, he got the kid on there. The float wasn't even strong enough to hold the kid's weight and I think that's when he let go," Loscalzo said.
Loscalzo and his neighbor, Bob Leech, grabbed a canoe and rushed out to help.
The rescuers not only had to pull the boy out of this water, but they had to calm him down, and in the process they lost sight of the father.
"We looked. We stayed out there for about 15 minutes, 20 minutes, rowing around, calling the guy's name, but the undertow that was out there was unbelievable," Loscalzo said.
The boy was taken to a hospital and treated for exposure.
The search continued until midnight last night.
Late Saturday morning, Barahona's body was found and pulled from the water.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
long island, drowning, long island news, art mcfarland
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 33 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 33 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 47 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 56 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
47 min ago
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
32 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos