Long Island News
Worker trapped in sewer tells of 9-hour ordeal
UNIONDALE (WABC) -- Joe Hranicka can't believe he's alive. After he tumbled more than twenty feet through an open manhole, his eye socket is shattered and both his wrists are broken along with two of his ribs.
Joe had been in this truck, sweeping the parking lot of a vacant strip mall. He moved a sheet of plywood blocking his path, entirely unaware it was covering the manhole.
"I lifted up the wood and it was pretty much right in front of me. So I took the step that I didn't see what was in front of me and there was this big hole that I didn't see. I went right down", Hranicka said.
He remained trapped inside for nine hours before Tim Eareckson rode past on his bicycle and heard Joe's screams.
"I thanked him when I was there. I wanted to compensate him but I'm living paycheck to paycheck so I don't know what to do for him. He saved my life pretty much," Hranicka said.
Joe is grateful tonight, but insists it never should have happened.
"They should have roped it off, put up cones, some kind of warning you know. Cause it blended in pretty much with the other things around," Hranicka said.
long island, uniondale, accident, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito 15 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos