Long Island News
Holiday weekend fun on Long Island
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- Nassau County officials prefer residents to come here and safely watch fireworks, rather than set off them off at home.
They gave a preview of their holiday show on Friday morning.
The county will host "Celebrate America" on Saturday night at Harry Chapin Lakeside Theatre.
It is free, and sponsored by TD Bank.
The gates open at 5:00 p.m. There will be two pre-show bands and fireworks at dusk.
Thirty-thousand people are expected to attend the fireworks show here at the Larry Chapin Lakeside theatre.
Now, only 8 to 10 thousand people can fit on the lawn. If want to view the show, you have to have a ticket, which you can get from any TD Bank in Suffolk or Nassau County.
It is also a busy beach weekend in Nassau County, so the county is also encouraging beach safety.
At this point, most beaches will be open. Piping Rock Beach Club in Lattingtown is closed to bathing due to elevated bacterial levels.
For up-to-date recorded information on beach closings and openings in Nassau County, call 516-227-9700.
4th of july, long island, nassau county, suffolk county, long island news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 21 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 9 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 24 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
9 min ago