Long Island News
Pedestrian killed in Long Island DWI crash
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- Police have arrested a Long Island public safety officer following a drunk-driving crash that left a pedestrian dead.
Police say 42-year-old Robert Core, of Hempstead, struck a 50-year-old man on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow just before 11:30 p.m. Thursday. The victim has been identified as Eddie Albert Cotto, of Lindenhurst.
According to detectives, Cove was behind the wheel of a marked Town of Hempstead Department of Public Safety patrol car that struck the man, who was crossing Hempstead Turnpike in front of the Nassau University Medical Center.
An ambulance leaving the hospital immediately responded to the scene. They transported the victim to the hospital, where he later died.
Core is charged with vehicular manslaughter and DWI.
Officials say Core has been with the Town of Hempstead's Public Safety Department since 2000. He has been suspended without pay.
Core was responding to a town park when the accident happened. Public Safety Officers have flashers on their marked cars, but it is unclear if he was responding in an emergency fashion.
long island, hempstead, drunk driving, long island news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 42 min ago
- Man accused of DWI with 6-year old daughter in car 4 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse