Long Island News
Pedestrian killed in Long Island DWI crash
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- Police have arrested a Long Island public safety officer following a drunk-driving crash that left a pedestrian dead.
Police say 42-year-old Robert Core, of Hempstead, struck a 50-year-old man on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow just before 11:30 p.m. Thursday. The victim has been identified as Eddie Albert Cotto, of Lindenhurst.
According to detectives, Cove was behind the wheel of a marked Town of Hempstead Department of Public Safety patrol car that struck the man, who was crossing Hempstead Turnpike in front of the Nassau University Medical Center.
An ambulance leaving the hospital immediately responded to the scene. They transported the victim to the hospital, where he later died.
Core is charged with vehicular manslaughter and DWI.
Officials say Core has been with the Town of Hempstead's Public Safety Department since 2000. He has been suspended without pay.
Core was responding to a town park when the accident happened. Public Safety Officers have flashers on their marked cars, but it is unclear if he was responding in an emergency fashion.
long island, hempstead, drunk driving, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 14 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 13 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 3 min ago