Long Island News
Town of Hempstead boil water advisory
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- The Water Authority of Western Nassau County has issued a boil water warning for seven communities in the Town of Hempstead.
Customers in North Valley Stream, Elmont, Floral Park, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, Stewart Manor and Garden City are being told to boil their water before drinking it.
Separate water samples tested positive for E. Coli and Total Coliform bacteria, prompting the warning.
Notices are being distributed door to door Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
Testing done by the Nassau County Health Department since the positive samples have shown no traces of either bacteria.
Customers should boil water for one minute and then allow it to cool before drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes or preparing food.
The Water Authority will be flushing the water mains in the area of the contamination and the warning will be lifted when their tests show no bacteria.
For more information, please contact Customer Service at 516-327-4100 or 58 S. Tyson Avenue, Floral Park, NY 11001.
If you require further assistance call the Nassau County Department of Health at 516-227-9692 or after hours number at516-742-6154.
General guidelines on ways to lessen the risk of infection by microbes are available from the EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1(800) 426-4791.
long island, nassau county, hempstead, long island news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 56 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 38 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos