Long Island News
Collision sends bus careening into McDonald's on LI
UNIONDALE (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County are investigating a collision that sent a bus into a McDonald's.
Authorities say a van, driven by 42-year-old Richard Santiago, was heading east on Hempstead Turnpike when slammed into two cars and then the bus in Uniondale around 9:30 p.m. Sunday.
The impact sent the bus crashing into the side of the restaurant.
The 51-year-old bus driver was taken to the hospital with facial and knee injuries. Santiago was treated for a head injury. The driver of one of the other vehicles hit was also taken to the hospital with unknown injuries.
There were no passengers on the bus and no injuries reported inside the McDonald's.
A subsequent investigation revealed Santiago was operating under the influence of an alcoholic beverage. He is charged with DWI, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, operating a motor vehicle with a suspended registration, unlicensed operation and uninsured motor vehicle.
long island, uniondale, long island news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 55 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
26 min ago
- Death toll rises to 13 in Mount Everest...
10 min ago