Long Island News
Body of LI teacher Daniel Bobis found off Indonesia
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Local fishermen say they found the body of an American surfer who went missing last weekend in waters off western Indonesia.
Daniel Bobis apparently hit another surfer's board after emerging from the barrel of a powerful, 10-foot (3 meter) wave. His leash broke and his board washed to shore.
Andri, a member of the search and rescue team, said local fishermen found his body Thursday about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from where he'd last been seen.
Thirty-two-year-old Bobis was a math teacher and coach at Long Beach High School in New York.
He had been vacationing with his wife, Rachel, on Sumatra island. She did not wish to comment.
Bobis' Facebook page was flooded with condolences.
long island, long beach, long island news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 32 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 32 min ago
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 30 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
52 min ago