Long Island News
Body of LI teacher Daniel Bobis found off Indonesia
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Local fishermen say they found the body of an American surfer who went missing last weekend in waters off western Indonesia.
Daniel Bobis apparently hit another surfer's board after emerging from the barrel of a powerful, 10-foot (3 meter) wave. His leash broke and his board washed to shore.
Andri, a member of the search and rescue team, said local fishermen found his body Thursday about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from where he'd last been seen.
Thirty-two-year-old Bobis was a math teacher and coach at Long Beach High School in New York.
He had been vacationing with his wife, Rachel, on Sumatra island. She did not wish to comment.
Bobis' Facebook page was flooded with condolences.
long island, long beach, long island news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos