Long Island News
Body of LI teacher Daniel Bobis found off Indonesia
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Local fishermen say they found the body of an American surfer who went missing last weekend in waters off western Indonesia.
Daniel Bobis apparently hit another surfer's board after emerging from the barrel of a powerful, 10-foot (3 meter) wave. His leash broke and his board washed to shore.
Andri, a member of the search and rescue team, said local fishermen found his body Thursday about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from where he'd last been seen.
Thirty-two-year-old Bobis was a math teacher and coach at Long Beach High School in New York.
He had been vacationing with his wife, Rachel, on Sumatra island. She did not wish to comment.
Bobis' Facebook page was flooded with condolences.
long island, long beach, long island news
- Metro North trains collide, 60 people injured
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild 9 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- Vigil held for Hofstra shooting victim
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $600 million
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Woman, boyfriend found shot to death in NJ park
- Tarrytown remembers Hofstra shooting victim
- abcnews: Sole survivor of plane crash breaks silence
- Photos: Scandal Season 2 Finale
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos