Long Island News
Driver charged with DWI after hitting cop car
COMMACK (WABC) -- Authorities have charged a Mount Sinai man who rear-ended a Suffolk County police cruiser in Commack with driving drunk.
Russell Schaefer, 28, slammed his pickup truck into a Second Precinct vehicle on Jericho Turnpike, west of Commack Road, at 9:50 on Thursday night.
Schaefer was treated at St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center in Smithtown for minor injuries.
The officer was taken to Huntington Hospital, also for minor injuries.
The wrecked police cruiser had replaced a vehicle totaled in another drunk driving crash two years ago that killed an officer.
The vehicle, No. 222, replaced cruiser No. 218, which was being driven by Officer Glen Ciano when a drunken driver hit his car in February 2009.
The force of the impact sent the cruiser into a tree, setting it ablaze. Ciano was killed.
long island, commack, drunk driving, long island news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy 18 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 31 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 28 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 6 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos