Long Island News
Driver charged with DWI after hitting cop car
COMMACK (WABC) -- Authorities have charged a Mount Sinai man who rear-ended a Suffolk County police cruiser in Commack with driving drunk.
Russell Schaefer, 28, slammed his pickup truck into a Second Precinct vehicle on Jericho Turnpike, west of Commack Road, at 9:50 on Thursday night.
Schaefer was treated at St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center in Smithtown for minor injuries.
The officer was taken to Huntington Hospital, also for minor injuries.
The wrecked police cruiser had replaced a vehicle totaled in another drunk driving crash two years ago that killed an officer.
The vehicle, No. 222, replaced cruiser No. 218, which was being driven by Officer Glen Ciano when a drunken driver hit his car in February 2009.
The force of the impact sent the cruiser into a tree, setting it ablaze. Ciano was killed.
long island, commack, drunk driving, long island news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Golden Globes nominations announced 4 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss 9 min ago
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code 17 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos